Chiropractic is a health profession based on the relationship between the structures of the body and how it functions. 1 Although a chiropractor is trained to adjust all parts of the body to improve function and the body’s ability to heal itself, the main focus is the spine. In fact, we can trace every nerve back to the spine. But sometimes those nerves can get “stuck,” so the brain can’t communicate properly with the body. It is much the same way a hose with a kink in it doesn’t allow water to flow correctly. A chiropractic adjustment frees up these kinks. As a result, the body is able to function at its best and heal more quickly and effectively.
Is Chiropractic Helpful?
There are many studies showing the benefits of treatment along with testimonials of millions of patients who experience it.
- Chiropractic worked as well as surgery for many patients with sciatica when others options failed. 2
- Patients with neck pain felt relief from chiropractic. 3
- Those with low back pain were more likely to see a reduction in pain and increase in physical function when chiropractic was part of their treatment. 4
- Chiropractic has proven to relieve the symptoms of migraines and cervicogenic headaches. 5
- Adjusting the atlas, the top-most spinal bone that the skull sits on, has been shown to offer the same benefit of lowered blood pressure as drugs. 6
- The Journal of the American Medical Association suggests chiropractic as an option that may be successful for low back pain before surgery should be considered.7
- It is estimated that 90% of world-class athletes use chiropractic as well as athletes of all levels. In fact, every NFL team relies on chiropractic to some degree. 8
- A study of 85,000 healthcare beneficiaries showed that treatment for low back pain was 20-40% less expensive through a chiropractor than a medical doctor. 9
- At least for low back pain, patients tend to be more satisfied with the treatment they get from a chiropractor than traditional medical care providers. 10
Is It Safe to See a Chiropractor?
As with any healthcare profession, there are risks, but chiropractic is very safe. Some patients experience minimal side effects such as discomfort and radiating pain and in rare cases, serious side effects such as stroke. Keep in mind however that these cases might be the result of a condition that already exists and a chiropractic manipulation simply “discovered” it.11 Perspective is important too. Standard medical treatment for pain includes drugs such as opiods, which can be addictive and offer much greater risks and side effects. 12